Thursday, March 29, 2012

Retro fabulous!

So I have been a busy girl these past 2 days!  I found this "sofa table" at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore.....if you don't know about the ReStore please checkout their website to see if there is a store near you!  ( http://www.habitat.org/restores/ )  Basically the store is like the Goodwill of Lowe's!  They get the usual donations of books and furniture and other junk that people held on to for WAY to long but they also have windows, doors, old claw foot tubs, ect. from house renovations or construction sites.  Basically perfect for any DIYer on a budget to find cheap supplies and inspiration in every corner of the store.  So back to said table.  It is extremely retro and I saw endless possibilities!  I knew it had potential beyond a sofa table and would make a great vanity or petite desk. 

The Reveal!!
 
Before

After
Close up of the stencil


What I Did
As with any furniture paint project, this one started with sanding and cleaning of decades of grime.  For the paint I purchased paint + primer and after 2 coats it was looking gorgeous.  I wanted to do something different and fun since I chose a gray paint.  Hence the idea to stencil.  (Note: Do not embark upon stenciling if you do not have a plethora of time and patience.)  I used a simple stencil that I traced until the entire top was covered.  I then took a tiny paint brush and began tracing.  Now in my stupidity, I traced the stencil with a black sharpie and therefore it took SEVERAL coats of white to cover the marker.  But when all was said and done I was in love!!  I can't wait to find the perfect chair to redo to match.


What's up next:
 With good intentions I bought a chair to go with this desk but after bringing it home I found out that the chair was too wide to fit :(  so I am on the hunt for a new chair to refurbish.  In the mean time, I will be working on the other chair to sit in a corner somewhere.

Until then.....keep on crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment