Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dear Grandma I hope you don't hate what I've done....

As the first grandchild I had the pleasure of inheriting my grandmother's bedroom furniture.  This collection is old and it shows!  The handles have either rusted, fallen off, or broken over the years.  There are scratches all over, and basically it's just not my style.  I have wanted to give the dresser a makeover for years but I've been too afraid that I would hate the paint or ruin it and feel guilty (did I mention there are 5 other grandchildren that could have gotten these pieces?).  So I have finally gained the courage to get to work.

 




Dresser Before

Supplies:
Sandpaper
Paint
New knobs and handles
Drill + drill bit to size
Wood putty

What I did:
The handles on the dresser were an unusual size and I didn't find any in the same size that I liked.  The handles I found required me to drill new holes and to fill the old holes  with wood putty (please measure twice and drill once!).  The next step was sanding.  I am normally too lazy to sand things before I paint it, and most of the time I get away with it.  With this piece I actually took the time to sand and properly clean it because  A) the wood was very uneven and B) there was years of grime covering the dresser.  After sanding and cleaning off the dust, I did 2 coats of paint....be sure to allow paint to dry completely  between coats and before attaching new knobs.  Once dry I put the new knobs on and the piece was complete.

Dresser After

The bedroom set also includes a long dresser with a mirror and a bed frame then I plan to makeover in the near future!

What I'm working on next:
Thought I would take a break from painting for a while and move on to a sewing project.  I am in love with the bold striped curtains that are popping up everywhere so I am going to attempt my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment