Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Old pillows become new again

Before I moved into my current apartment almost 2 years ago, I purchased pillow forms and fabric to add some color to my place.  As I am preparing to change up my decor for my new place, I am ready for a change in pillows as well.  We all have pillows that we once loved that need some refreshing.  New pillows are expense to keep replacing so why not just recover them?  You can change out the color scheme with the season or whenever you feel the need for a change of scenery.  It is far less expensive to buy a yard of fabric to cover a pillow than shell out $20 for a whole new pillow.  I decided to make simple envelope pillow cases that can be changed out easily (and more importantly cheaply!).

Supplies
fabric
old pillow forms
sewing machine


Tutorials:
http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/2011/06/tutorial-quick-envelope-pillow-case.html
OR
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-sew-an-envelope-pillow-41722




 I made my pillows from leftover fabric from previous projects as well as purchasing some more coordinating fabrics.  I loved the chance to play around with colors and patterns.  You can also find great deals on hand towels, napkins, table clothes, or curtains and use them as your base for your pillows.  Square napkins are the easiest to make into pillows since they are already hemmed and a standard square pillow size.  Browse the isles of your favorite home stores (especially the clearance section) and see what inspires your next pillow creation.  Have fun with it.  If you hate it after a month, you didn't spend that much money on it!

What I'm working on next:
 I found some old window panes.  Not sure exactly what I'm going to do with them yet

No comments:

Post a Comment