Friday, April 20, 2012

Window Panes

While at a dinner several months ago, I noticed the host has a beautiful and rustic window pane hanging above her couch.  At that moment I was in love and knew that in the future I wanted to find something similar.  I loved the way one rustic piece could transform a modern decor into something special.  I found old window panes at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $5.  They had windows of all shapes and sizes to chose from.  I knew that I wanted to do the windows in a couple of different ways.  I was inspired by posts on pinterest showing many uses for old windows. (http://dishfunctionaldesigns.blogspot.com/2012/01/reclaimed-windows.html)


Window before


Supplies
Window panes
Paint
Painter's tape
Contact paper
Scrapbook paper
Ribbon
Wooden monogram letter
Staple gun

What I did:

For both windows:  The windows were not in the best condition and had a lot of chipping paint.  First I removed all of the hardware.  Then I thoroughly cleaned them and tried to scrap off some of the chipping paint.  I then taped off the windows so I wouldn't get paint all over the glass.  Last I painted each window pane with 2 coats of paint.  I only painted the front of the windows because I knew that I was going to be covering the glass and you wouldn't see the back.

Window 1:  I used my leftover contact paper to cover each pane of glass.  Measure the inside of the panes and then cut the contact paper to size.  Carefully stick the contact paper to the glass and make sure to smooth out all of the bubbles.  You can use an exacto knife to cut off any areas where the paper overlaps the wooden frames.  I found a wooden monogram letter at Michael's that was already painted white.  The letters come in a variety of sizes and styles in black and white.  I attached a piece of ribbon to the letter and the frame with a staple gun to hang the letter in place.

Window #1 After


Window 2:  For the second window I found scrapbook paper on sale.  I cut each sheet to size and taped it into place.  I then drilled new holes to put some of the hardware back on so that I could use it to tie ribbon to and hang the frame.  I now can use this window as a dry erase board by writing on the glass with any dry erase marker.

Window #2 After


Window 3:  I currently am in limbo on the third window.  It has been painted but I'm not sure what else I want to do with it.  I may just leave it as is and hang it above my bed.

Window #3 After


What I'm working on next:
I have been collecting wine corks and I want to use them to make a decorative piece for my wine bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment