Monday, April 2, 2012

Coffee Table Turned Ottoman

I have been in love with large ottomans in front of couches for a long time.  Who doesn't love the option to comfortably prop your feet up when lounging on the couch and of course my cat loves any soft surface to nap on.  The only things that has stopped me from investing in one are A) the are super expensive for my student budget and B) I can never find one in a fabric I like. 

So what does any good DIYer do?  Make one of my own!  I had this IKEA coffee table for about 4 years now.  I tried to give it a makeover once by painting it but I quickly got sick of it and it has been stationed under my bed in piece for months.  I had forgotten all about the table until recently when I had seen posts on Pinterest about making your own ottoman from a coffee table.  I thought "I can do that!" and so it began.

Coffee Table Before

For a few dollars I was able to transform an ugly table into a comfortable ottoman.

Supplies I used: 
2 yds of upholstery fabric (I could have gotten away with 1 1/2yds but I love have scraps)
2 2" foam cushions
Batting
Glue gun
Staple gun
White paint

How you can make your own:
First I touched up the legs.  They were already white but had gotten scratched up a bit.  One coat did the trick.  Next I cut my fabric to size (make sure you prewash the fabric!).  I glued the foam pads to the table just so they wouldn't move when I flipped it onto the fabric.  I stapled the batting to the table first.  Then I began stapling the fabric.  I folded the fabric neatly before stapling it so I would have clean lines underneath the table.  Then voila!

Ottoman After

My new ottoman is so adorable and comfortable!  And my cat is in love!  There is a shelf that fits in but I haven't decided if I  like it enough to put it in yet.

What I'm working on next:
I have inherited (sounds fancy right?) a bedroom set from my grandmother.  It has been in DESPERATE need of a makeover for decades but I have been a bit timid to touch it until now (because God forbid I screw it up and I have siblings and cousins hunting me down for ruining family furniture!).  I have decided to start with a tall dresser for now.  Tune in for the final product!

No comments:

Post a Comment