Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Where does my inspiration come from?

I have been asked for a lot of DIY/design advice lately (thanks guys!!) and I have often been asked how I come up with these ideas.  Well lucky you I am going to share my secrets!!

1. Pinterest
This is obvious!  With the Pinterest rage its easy to be inspired by new ideas or ways to use old things in a new way.  I have WAY to much free time on my hand and often spend hours at a time looking for new pictures and ideas to pin.  What most don't think about is using ideas indirectly.  For example: You love the striped or chevron curtains/bedding but instead of just using that inspiration on fabrics why not paint a bookshelf or desk in the pattern?  I also love looking at style pictures for color inspiration....people are often bolder in fashion than they are willing to be in their home decor.  

2. Design Notebook
Yes I have an entire notebook (actually its several binders) dedicated to ideas that inspire me.  When ever I get a new magazine and see something I like I just rip out the page and add it to the book.  This is a great way to pull multiple ideas together and have a visual (for those that are not good at visualizing).

3. The Fabric Store
You can see the greatest color and pattern combinations just by browsing your local fabric store. I especially like seeing fabrics with a traditional print in a bright and modern color scheme.

4. HGTV
Quite possibly my favorite channel ever!  Great place to get inspired!  Even if a room is designed on a budget 10x your yearly salary there are always elements you can take away and do on a budget.  I love to watch The High/Low Project for that very reason.  Why should fabulous design be left to the rich?

5. Nature
Some of the best color combos are the ones you see in nature.  Blue + Green where the sky meets the grass.  Great shades of yellow, orange, and red as the sun is setting. The browns and oranges of fall.  Why not use these great combos in your home as well?  Just step outside and pay attention to the colors around you!

6.  Artwork and Bedding
Not sure where to start?  You can always start with your favorite piece of artwork or bedding that you absolutely love.  Draw colors from these pieces and run with it!  Play around with colors that you don't think will work that in the end are fabulous!

7. Paint chips
In a perfect world I could run into the paint section of my local home improvement store and throw all of the paint chips into the air and see where they land.  I bet you would make some wonderful color groupings that way!! Since I would probably be banned for doing this I will settle with spreading a bunch of paint chips all over my dining room table.  Play around.  You love orange 302 why not see what it looks like by blue 401.  Have fun.....they are free after all!

So go out there and get inspired!  Find what makes you happy and makes you want to start a new project.  Keep of a log of your favorite ideas.  Get creative!!

No comments:

Post a Comment