Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Small apartment needs creative storage

I am moving in 4 weeks and I am very excited about decorating a new place (hence the plethora of craft projects!).  Unfortunately, my new apartment has about 200 less square feet than my current residence, and for a "stuff person"/hoarder like me, this requires some creative thinking for storage.  I was inspired by an article in Better Homes and Gardens where casters were placed on an old dresser drawer to provide storage that easily moves in and out from under the bed.  But honestly, who has extra dresser drawers laying around for this project?  However, when I was in ReStore a few weeks ago I found these large wooden drawers, probably for a kitchen, that were about 2x3ft and for $5 a piece I couldn't pass it up!!

Drawer before

Supplies
Paint
4 casters per drawer
Rope or drawer handles
leftover fabric
drill + drill bit
glue gun

What I did
First off I drilled holes for my handles.  I loved the idea of using rope for the handles so I just needed 2 holes on each drawer big enough to fit the rope in. After sanding and cleaning, i painted the entire drawer except the bottom inside with 2 coats of my leftover gray paint.  After the paint was dry, I added casters to each corner.  I placed the rope through the holes and tied each end on the inside.  I measured fabric for the inside and attached it with my glue gun.

Drawer after


Drawer after

I am IN LOVE with the finished product!  It is going to provide a ton of storage space in my new place without taking up valued floor space.  I even added a blanket to one to make a hide-away cat bed since my cat loves to nap under the bed.  She approves!

Chloe in her new cat bed

What I'm working on next:
I have an old stained bookcase that is in desperate need of a makeover!!

No comments:

Post a Comment