Friday, April 6, 2012

I have always wanted striped curtains!

Striped curtains have been very popular on Pinterest lately!  I've have wanted to make a set for many months now and I finally have the time to do it.  Warning: do not decide to make your own striped curtains until you have the patience to sit at a sewing machine for a few hours!



The Supplies
4 yards of white fabric
3 yards of colored fabric (in my case green)

What I did
I chose a thicker drapery fabric because I wanted the curtains to be a little heavier and block out some more sun for those months on night float when I will be sleeping during the day.  Be sure to pre-wash your fabric before cutting because it will shrink.  I cut my fabric into 1ft 1in strips.  Make sure your lines are straight before you cut so you don't have to correct it later while sewing.  My curtains are 9 stripes in length (I had to fold them over in the picture because the ceilings of my current apartment are not as high as my new place will be), but you can change the length by adding or decreasing the number of stripes.  Once all of the pieces are cut I assembled the stripes 2 at a time an sewed them together.  After all 9 stripes were assembled, I hemmed the sides.  I did not fold it over at the top or add fancy embellishments for hanging.  Instead, I used curtain clips to make the task easier.  I love the final look and I may make some for other rooms in different colors.

What I'm working on next:
I have another Goodwill chair that I am planning on bringing to life back to.  We will see how this goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment