Friday, April 13, 2012

Glam up a bookcase!

I have been busy adding some much needed pizazz to an old bookcase.  When I originally bought the bookcase, it was unfinished and I decided to stain it.  I was happy with the results but now its time for something new! 

Bookcase before
Supplies
Paint
Contact paper


What I did

The first step was painting.  I have a ton of paint laying around so this part was FREE.  After 2 coats of paint it was time to make this project a little special.

Bookcase after painting

While browsing the aisles of TJ Maxx I found beautiful gray contact paper with yellow flowers.  I love contact paper because A) it already has a sticky back so I don't have to get out glue and B) it has nice grid lines on the back that make it easy to measure and cut to size.  I measured the inside and cut the paper to size.  Don't worry if the cuts aren't exact....you can easily take an exacto knife and trim the paper after it is placed.  Peel off a little bit of the backing paper at a time and smooth the paper as it sticks.  I used a spatula to push out air bubbles.  If you have a stubborn air bubble you can lift the paper up and and try again to place it smoothly.

Bookcase after



Close up of the contact paper

I LOVE the finished result!!  The best projects are the ones that are inspired when you aren't even looking for inspiration!  Thank you TJ Maxx for the help!

What I'm working on next:
I have finally found the perfect desk chair!!!  Can't wait to finish it













                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment